[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Aug 25 18:48:18 CEST 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Johannes Burström wrote:

> 2009/8/22 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>:
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2009, at 6:03 AM, Johannes Burström wrote:
>>> current state of the devel branch or my incompetence. Also, some
>>> label
>>> widths seem to be hardcoded, so some label texts are cropped.
>>
>> Yeah, that's why I am starting this translation process now, rather
>> than
>> waiting until the full text is in the template.pot.  Please report
>> these
>> issues so I can fix them.  Its not hard to make the panel adjust
>> width,
>> though oftentimes the panels end up getting quite wide in some
>> languages.
>> I've tried to standardize the punctuation but haven't messed with the
>> language too much because its been around so long.  I think you are
>> talking
>> about the iemguis (hslider, vslider, etc.) or do you also mean the
>> gatoms
>> (number box , symbol box) and arrays.
>
> Mainly talking about the iemguis, yes. I could imagine taking away the
> "-----dimensions(pix)..." headings and having boxes instead.

Unfortuntely, that's on the C side.  The iemguis are hard to modify,
but its definitely possible.  One thing that might be easy is to
localize those strange iemgui headers.

> When it comes to labels getting cropped, i've so far only seen it
> happen to the "Messages" labels in the iemguis, and now I see it
> happen to the english translation as well. Maybe it would be and idea
> to lose the "symbol" part of eg "Send symbol" and have a heading like
> "Message symbols", besides of course to make them take up the whole
> width.

That's a good idea.  The hard part is which language to use.  How
about this:

Bind symbols
	Send:
	Receive:

or maybe this:

Bind to symbols for
	Send:
	Receive:

> And here I had a long rant about having checkboxes instead of buttons
> for Init/no init until I viewed source and saw that it was already
> planned...

Hmm, I wouldn't say planned as much as noted.  That wouldn't be hard
to fix, and it would be all Tcl.  The more contributions there are,
the better it gets. :)

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste