[PD] limiter questions

Mirko Maier mirkom at gmx.de
Wed Aug 26 10:31:50 CEST 2009

Hi Derek,

> 1) Is there any reason not to use [limiter~] (i.e. to stay Vanilla)?

I would like to understand it! And [limiter~] also produces a dampening not in the right moment (my 2nd question).

> 2) To avoid clicks, look at:
>
> [num\
> |
> [pack 0 50]
> |
> [line~]

That doesn't work in my patch, there is still a big peak when i give a short (10 ms) loud sound.

> 3) [env~] gives "RMS amplitude which (for a sinusoid) is about 3 dB
> below peak-to-peak amplitude" (from the [env~] help patch).  For a
> limiter you are definitely interested in the peaks and not the average!!!!

Ok, so which object can be used for that?

> 4) For something like a limiter, you might want something which does
> everything in the audio domain rather than switching between audio and
> messages through signal analysis (for the reason I wrote
> above...discrete messages give clicks). Again, [limiter~] would be the

Of course, that would be good. Isn't that possible with pd vanilla or at least with a selfmade-patch using objects from pd extended?

cheers
mirko