[PD] pd 0.43 branch with the new GUI code

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 26 21:44:12 CEST 2009

Hallo,

> It won't let you go smaller than the menubar on the window.

I think, being able to make a window smaller should be a default action/script,
as it is with the old Pd. It definitely should be possible without externals.

> That is Federico's system based on tags.  Its also a plugin.
> "object_db.tcl".  Change it and you can have your own custom system!  I
> think it could be really cool if this plug parsed all the help patches
> for tags, and built the menu based on that.  Currently, its close to
> that, but uses an included database instead of parsing the help files
> directly.

Which reminds me to quickly hint at the system for "parsable" help files we
have introduced into the rj library for rjdj recently. There each help file
has a subpatch called "pd REFERENCE", which is GOP so the contents are
readable from the parent.

This subpatch only contains comments, which act like key:value pairs. Example:

  Name: e_alias
  the sample rate to generate aliasing.
  Non-key comments are added to "Descripton" in y-order.
  Tags: distortion, effect

Not all help files have been converted to this format yet, but the idea is to
make html or other docs from these comments. Think of them like docstrings in
Python.

Maybe this can be used for a better help browser, too. But I tell you,
converting help files to this is a lot of tedious work. :) And we don't even
care for any graphical layout conventions (deliberatly).

But it keeps the docs close to Pd which IMO is better than manually editing
webpages.

>> - when running from "./bin" rsp. "./src" now, no helpfiles are found
>> ("about"
>>  is empty, too). It was very nice that Pd so far was able to be run
>> from there
>>  without installation.
>
> I've been instead running everything in "src/" so that no files have to
> be moved when development.  The 'bin' thing should only be used with a
> 'make install'.  There is no need to move files if you are not doing a
> "make install".

I don't really care if files are in bin or src. (For some reason, bin is a
symlink to src anyway) But neither lets me open any help files when starting Pd
as "cd src; ./pd", which definitely was possible with previous Pds.  Maybe I'm
doing something wrong?

Ciao
--
Frank