[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 27 02:10:52 CEST 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 7:08 PM, João Pais wrote:

> One problem, that might happen in other languages: as I understood,
> official terms like toggle, array, number2 etc don't get translated,
> right? (I think it's better not to)
> There is one word, number, which is used for the object, and for the
> properties window of radios. The correct translation would be number
> for the object, and número for the properties window. but that would
> only happen now if someone changed the tcl file, right?

That's really up to the translator, and people who speak that
language.  In some languages, people will want more english terms, in
other languages less.

FWIW, there isn't a "number" object, the object is called 'floatatom',
so in English the word "Number" on the Put menu is used as an abstract
concept rather than a specific object name.  Also, "Toggle" creates a
[tgl], Vslider creates a [vsl], etc.  Some people have translated
those terms.

> Is the master .po file correct? Some terms are missing, like
> no_scale, and other names that appear on top of different
> properties' windows (like canvas, f.e.)
> Should you include also the commands specific to pd-ext? (I guess
> only in the help menu)

Not everything is localized yet, the way the iemguis are implemented
makes them hard to localize.  The text on the C side has not been
localized at all, like the 'pd -help' text.  That would

>> setenv LANG pt_PT
>> gnome-text-editor
>
> I have open office in port open already
>

>> Or something like that. Or you can find lots of .po files online.
>
> crap, they're almost all in brazilian (only 10M portuguese in
> Portugal)
>

> I've done all except for ~12. Anyway someone else should check them
> as well. Is there a reference to where string X is used? I'm opening
> all windows/dialogues in Pd to see what's the context of each file,
> but can't tell where these belong. (I can translate them "blindly",
> but that's not so good)
>
> Oh, and got 2 fatal errors in the translation.<pt.po>

Cool, please fix the fatal errors if you can, they are probably
because the fields in the header (like your name, etc) are not filled
out.  If you don't want to put data in those fields, remove the line.

Add it to the patch tracker once you are done, and we'll take it from
there!

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup