[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 28 03:09:29 CEST 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 8:39 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> 2009/8/28 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>
> On Aug 27, 2009, at 7:33 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i've attached an updated hu.po file.
>> Translating brought up some questions for me btw:
>> - What is 'use callbacks'? sorry i dont have an idea could someone
>> explain please?
>
> That's for interfacing with the audio API, use callbacks instead of
> polling. Its a pretty low level technical thing.
>
> Huh. ;o)
>> - Another one i'm not sure i understand: 'ERROR: %s failed to find
>> font size (%s) that fits into %sx%s!'
>
> The object/message boxes have a fixed size.  This code measures the
> font to fit into the existing box sizes.  If it can't find one, then
> it gives this error.  It should really be a warning, since things
> will still work ok.  Basically it would read like this:
>
> ERROR: FreeMono failed to find font size (12) that fits into 7x15
> Freemono is the font name
> 12 is pd's font size
> 7x15 is size of a character box in pixels.
>
> Alrite, i understand the scenario, but i don't fully understand the
> quoted sentence. Perhaps i also don't understand how the code works.
> First do we wish to imply for any reason that the *font is the one*
> who tried to find a font size? Then what is actually finding a font
> size? I understand that we have a given font but then we measure
> what and try to find what?
> Please, i'm still in the maze ;o)

I guess it should read something more like:

WARNING: failed to find font size for %s that fits into %sx%s (%s)!
WARNING: failed to find font size for FreeMono that fits into 7x15 (12)

>> - what's the ultimate rationale behind having both Number and
>> Number2 in the menu...?
>
> Number is the simple one, Number2 has more config options and is
> part of the IEM GUI collection.
>
> So for me to understand, we have them both because we don't have
> Number2 by default with Vanilla, did i understand right?

They are both in Vanilla.  Some people like Number, some people like
Number2... I think that's the only reason why they are both there.

.hc

> Please submit it to the patch tracker so we can keep track of what
> need doing :)
>
> I will :)
>

> --
> Muranyi Andras

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic