[PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 05:47:35 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 8/28/09, András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] call for translations for new Pd GUI
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 3:50 AM
> 2009/8/28 Mathieu
> Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
>

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, András Murányi
> wrote:
>

> So for me to understand, we have them both because we
> don't have Number2 by
>
> default with Vanilla, did i understand right?
>

> Number2 ([nbx]) is in vanilla since 2001 or so.
>

> Number2 exists because it comes from an external library
> that was merged into vanilla back then.
>

> Number1 still exists because Number2 isn't
> backwards-compatible with Number1 and so can't actually
> replace it. Number2 couldn't be made
> backwards-compatible anymore because it was already used by
> those who started pd with -lib iemgui.
>

> Actually, a special constructor could have been made for
> that case, similar to how [hradio] and [vradio] also exist
> as [hdl] and [vdl], but there's also a big mismatch of
> options between Number1 and Number2, such that it isn't
> really easy to merge Number1 and Number2 without making a
> more complicated whole with even more options.
>

> Thanks a lot for the explanation!
> At the end, do we need them both in the Put menu...?
>
> Andras

All the native gui objects available in Pd Vanilla are listed in the Put
menu, so it would seem odd to remove just one of them.  Plus, you can't
create a number atom by typing a name into an object box.  It's only
created through the Put menu, or by its shortcut <ctrl-3> (well, dynamic
patching too).  Removing it from the Put menu makes it an obscure object.

You could advocate moving Number2 up in the list and giving it the
<ctrl-3> shortcut, but it currently has some annoying features like:
* the number turns red when you scroll
* its too wide (almost twice as wide as number atom at width = 5)
* label size will change the size of the number
* its hard to put the output range back to default once you've changed it

Given those drawbacks, I prefer just using "Number" instead of "Number2."

-Jonathan