[PD] imaginary numbers

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 29 18:15:49 CEST 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, brandt at subnet.at wrote:

> and i tried to make sqrt from pd, but it does not like -1.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain this one. In the formulas I gave, "i"
represents square root of -1, but you can't use that as a number in pd
because pd only supports plain floats and not complex floats. But a
non-complex number system can be used to make a complex number system, and
the formulas are usually not very long.

A float can only be half of the data of a complex number. It's called
complex because it has two parts. The second float stands for the part
that is a multiple of "i", and the first float stands for the part that is
not. It's also often considered as a 2-D vector with extra operators, with
the x (cosine) standing for the real part, and the y (sine) standing for
the imaginary part.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_numbers#The_complex_plane

But don't try to read the whole wikipedia articles on math topics, they're
huge and contain much stuff you don't need.