[PD] Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 01:49:42 CEST 2009

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors
> To: "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at at.or.at>
> Cc: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 7:55 PM
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Hans-Christoph
> Steiner wrote:
>
> > If we use commas as the delimiter for individual tags,
> then just removing the commas means you don't know if you
> have multi-word tags or just single word tags.  So if
> you have:
> >     tags - frequency modulation, synth
> > and its parsed as:
> >     tags frequency modulation synth
> > then key information is lost.
>
> It's not just that... e.g. suppose you made an abstraction
> for looking up all patches that contain certain keywords...
> any number of them at once. How do you send a message to
> look for them? you'd need to put a comma _inside_ a
> message...
>
> (this is an example of what I was alluding to in my
> previous mail)

It's possible (see quick-and-dirty-attachment, although the first
typed character doesn't show up in the gop window for some reason).

But if searching is to be done from within Pd, I guess my question is
how well this would work, regardless of commas.  If a tag is
"frequency modulation," it won't be found if someone types in
"Frequency Modulation," or frequency-modulation, or "fm."  Same for sinusoid, sine, sin, sinewave, etc.

Or is there already a regular expression object?

-Jonathan