[PD] "computer music" WAS: Re: Pd at a livecoding event on the BBC

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:19:44 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:

> (No I'm not anywhere near being banked by Mego, these just happened all to
> be sitting near the top of the pile due to repeated listening...although
> finding much "computer music" at all around my house is a bit of a
> challenge!)

I was fairly involved with Mego about a decade ago, and I don't think much
of the work has really held up.  As much as I like Peter, Florian and the
others the stuff we thought was so groundbreaking back then ended up not
making much of an impact.  The third track on Peter's "Get Out" remains a
standout as does Fennesz's reworking of "Paint It Black".  What is
interesting to me is that both of those started from quite musical sources
and retained just enough of those musical qualities to not only catch the
ear, but remain in the memory after a single listen.  This is a something I
rarely find in computer music.