[PD] "computer music" WAS: Re: Pd at a livecoding event on the BBC

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Sep 4 17:46:26 CEST 2009

This is the band I most enjoy recently:

http://www.slavicsoulparty.com/

I have yet to see any computer or electronic music show that can hold
a candle to the feeling of being packed into a room of people dancing
face-to-face with 9 musicians pouring their guts into completely
physical instruments.  Of course, the website and digital recording
does a poor job of conveying that.

There is something about physical exertion that lends an essential
character to the music.  Computer and electronic music is too easy, it
takes almost no physical effort.  And it sounds like it most of the
time.   To me there is potential in live coding, you since it takes a
lot of mental exertion at least.  But people are just learning, so the
music mostly isn't good.  Most laptop music barely takes mental
exertion during the performance.

.hc