[PD] "computer music" WAS: Re: Pd at a livecoding event on the BBC

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 4 20:12:35 CEST 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 03:40:20PM +0200, ydegoyon at gmail.com wrote:
>> classification analog/digital is very arbitrary,
>> as all use both, like pan sonic uses a lot of electronics,
>> i don't know why they will still be classified in computer music,
>> maybe the way they use it
>> makes it sound like computer music-?
> Yeah, totally agree.

John Denver's «Country Roads» is computer music when it's been coded into
6809 machine code to be played on a Tandy 6-bit DAC. In the summer of
1983, my father left our rural isles by plane several times to get some
training in the city of Québec, and each time he came back he had some
600-baud tapes with more programmes. Back then, we used to load this
programme over and over to hear the marvellous sound coming out of it...

Frankly, I don't care how much academicians use confusing terms for their
own music at the expense of the rest of the population. I mean, «computer»
and «music» are terms for everybody and if you just put those two words
together it should make a term for everybody doing music with a computer,
or some other sensible subset of it that doesn't have to do with whether
the composers got tenure.