[PD] "computer music" WAS: Re: Pd at a livecoding event on the BBC

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 17:13:27 CEST 2009

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:43:49 +0000
babsyco babsyco <babsyco at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If that's your attitude fine, but in that case what's the point of a live performance at all

It's an fair question. The answer to that, for those of us that
do livecoding type perfomances, is the accompanying visual
display (usually back projected on a large screen) that
lays bare the cognitive, rather than gestural/physical
process.

In this regard I take 'performance' to mean a demonstration
of authenticity.

Of course it's a narrow audience able to apprreciate
what is going on, but it is a legitimate performance
that exposes the artist to scrutiny, I dare say at
least as much as playing a guitar, and more than
playing a keyboard where your hands are hidden
and nobody can be sure whether  you are miming to
a tape or sequence as so many popular artists do.

a.