[PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite test builds

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 07:00:57 CEST 2009

> >> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> >> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-GUI-Rewrite test builds
> >> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> >> Cc: gnd at itchybit.org,
> "PD List" <pd-list at iem.at>
> >> Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 3:24 AM
> >>

> >> Ok, so it seems there was some kind of
> permissions
> >> problem.  I reset
> >> the permissions and zipped it with the native
> zipper.
> >>
> >> .hc
> >>

> > In windows, one thing I'm seeing
> > is that when you try to close a patch, it just
> > reappears in the top left corner of the screen.
> >
> > Here's what's printed to the console:
> >
> > Running pdtk_fixwindowmenu
> > Running pdtk_fixwindowmenu
> > ::pd_bindings::window_configure .pdwindow
> > ::pd_bindings::window_focusin .pdwindow
> > ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
> > ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
> > ::pd_bindings::window_configure .xd78338
> > ::pd_bindings::window_configure .pdwindow
> > ::pd_bindings::window_focusin .xd78338
> >
> > -Jonathan
>

> Ok, lots of work, including quite a bit on the Windows
> front.  The
> file is called the same thing for Windows, but its a new
> file with a
> bunch of changes:
>
> http://puredata.info/dev/PdGuiRewriteTestBuilds
>
> For all of the platforms, you can stay up to date by
> following the
> 'svn update' instructions in the above page.
>
> .hc

Cool!

Do you have any examples of what can be done with the tcl window at the
bottom of the console?

Here's a couple of things I see right off:

* The check mark for "Edit Mode" is too faint until you mouse over it.

* clicking the "Text Editor" gives the following error:
invalid command name "menu_texteditor"
invalid command name "menu_texteditor"
    while executing
"menu_texteditor $::focused_window"
    (menu invoke)

* "Preferences" give the following error:
invalid command name "menu_preferences_dialog"
invalid command name "menu_preferences_dialog"
    while executing
"menu_preferences_dialog"
    (menu invoke)

* File->Message (ctrl-m) doesn't work

* If you try to close a window, it gets moved to the top left of the
screen.  (But it does close after going through the "Discard Changes"
dialog)

* The gui level meter for "IN" displays three bars when you turn on the
level meter and DSP.

* The recent files in the "file" menu don't persist after you close Pd.

* "Audio settings..." and "MIDI settings..." don't work

* If you make a subpatch and choose "Parent window" from the "Window"
menu, the parent window is moved to the top left corner

* Help->About gives the following error:
can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
can't read "pd_myversion": no such variable
    while executing
"regsub -all PD_VERSION $bigstring2 $pd_myversion bigstring3"
    (procedure "::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext" line 15)
    invoked from within
"::pd_menucommands::menu_opentext "$dirname/$basename""

* Find only works the first time.

* Help->Browser window is too narrow, and the text is too small

* (probably old, but I just noticed) When you choose an item from
the "Put" menu, it initially doesn't line up with the mouse pointer (click
on VU meter but don't move the mouse at all, and you'll see it).

-Jonathan