[PD] new GUI screenshots

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 15 03:16:08 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 8:32 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> 2009/9/15 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>

>> Btw I can see it's a snapshot of 2009/09/06. Do I understand right
>> that 1) dd is being actively developed these days 2) some code from
>> it gets its way to pd?
>
> DD is GPL and Pd is BSD so code can only flow Pd->DD.
>

> Wow. Why?
>>
>> Cool. Unfortunately I've never done TCL and my C is somewhat
>> archaic... that's why I cannot volunteer to do these.
>
> I knew nothing of Tcl before Pd.  Its a little wierd but pretty easy.
> [...]
> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
>
> ;o) I took a look... but i cannot find many references to the
> console in the sources. For sure I'm missing something...
>
> btw i have found a glitch which is when i open certain patches and
> hover some object the scrollbar starts rapidly dis/reappearing.
>
> --
> Muranyi Andras

The PD window code is all in pdwindow.tcl.  The console log part is
the 'text' widget:

     text .pdwindow.text -relief raised -bd 2 -font {-size 10} \
         -highlightthickness 0 -borderwidth 1 -relief flat \
         -yscrollcommand ".pdwindow.scroll set" -width 60 \
         -undo true -autoseparators true -maxundo -1

As for the Media menu, I think it could be useful for putting your own
patches on, like the addmypatchstomedia.tcl plugin does:

http://puredata.info/dev/PdGuiRewriteScreenshots

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs