[PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 20 10:06:07 CEST 2009

--- On Sat, 9/19/09, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: [PD] [pd REFERENCE] format [was: Re: Pd META: Author/Help Patch Authors]
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 9:43 PM
>
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
> > I've been assuming that one of the aims of tags (i.e.,
> keywords) is that there would be a search window in the
> browser so you can search for relevant help patches/tutorial
> patches/ etc.  Or maybe an actual patch, since Hans has
> said that the keywords should be "parsable in pd." There are
> already some categories from which simple, standard keywords
> may be used, but for some terms like "frequency modulation"
> there's the aforementioned problem of the space between the
> words.  Given that, frequency_modulation is certainly
> one solution, and users can get used to using underscores
> when searching, but why not also include "fm" and
> "modulation" in case the user happens to type that (which
> would be completely reasonable)?
>
> Typically, with tags, the user has access to the list of
> all currently existing tags, so that the user can choose
> from there. You could have a feature to search by regexp
> and/or thesaurus on the list of tags, but when you look for
> a tag in patches, the goal is sort of to have one concept
> per tag and one tag per concept, no synonyms, no homonyms.
>
> > > What's a tag?
> > A keyword.
>
> That's pretty terse. What are the expectations about tags?
> what about synonyms and homonyms? what do the tags mean,
> that the whole text of the patch doesn't?
>
> Because, what's the advantage of searching in tags vs
> searching in the whole text?

I thought it was mostly a speed issue, in which searching for 3 or 4
tags in a single file would be quicker than doing a full text search
of every help patch.  But if the user has access to all the tags and
goes from there, I see your point about naming conventions.

> > I saw your nick in the irc discussion of the PDDP,
> didn't you actually
> > take part in some of these decisions?
>
> What??... what does "take part" mean to you? I don't
> understand.

I remember reading something about the "desiredata people" wanting
related objects in their own subpatch, and I think I read some comments
you had about putting general object behavior in a centralized location
like an abstraction, rather than repeating it for every help file.

> I don't recall my opinions being represented in PDDP, but
> then, I don't recall trying to push them.

Why didn't you push (for) them?

-Jonathan