[PD] OS X MIDI startup options

Maurice Leysens signedup at leysens.com
Mon Sep 21 14:31:23 CEST 2009

I am a newbie to PD (but not to programming) and i was unable to find
the archives to this list to search for my question before asking it.

I am interested in running Pd on a headless Mac mini. Where the mini
simply becomes an OSC and MIDI processor. But it will require Pd to
start up with a selected input and output port. It does not appear to
do that. The Tcl/Tk interface does not store the last known
configuration, forcing you to select the in/out manually each time. I
found a set of command line options, such as -miniindev -midioutdev. i
tried them along the lines of ./Pd-extended -midioutdev 'midiiac' or -
midioutdev 'MidiPipe Input 1' but no luck. The options appear to
befavoring Linux and a device such as /dev/midi.

Is there a was to have a port configured at startup on the OS X
version? My goal is to simply be able to turn on the mini and connect
using an OSC transmitting device or a controller.

thanks so much

maury