[PD] Lash and PD's jack client names, feature request.

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Sun Oct 4 01:07:51 CEST 2009

Hi!

I was having a short look on lash (linux audio session handling) today.
pd has no native lash support, so I'm using the lash_wrap command when
starting pd.

the wrapper reports pd's 'jack client name', its pid and the startup
command to lash.
pd's jack client names are names like 'pure_data_0' for the first
instance of pd, 'pure_data_1' for the second and so on.

lash_wrap can't automatically figure out which jack client name the new
instance of pd has, so it has to be given on the command line:

lash_wrap -j pure_data_0 -- /usr/bin/pd -jack my_patch.pd

i make some connections using patchage or jack_connect, then i save the
lash project and close the lash project which kills all jack clients
belonging to the project.

when restoring the project, pd is started by lash, using the command
given to lash_wrap before. then it tries to connect 'pure_data_0' to
other jack clients like saved in the project before.

this will fail if an other instance of pd is already running and using
'pure_data_0'

My question: is there already a better solution for using lash with pd?

if not, I'd like to propose a new command line argument to specify a
custom jack client name like

pd -jack -client-name my_project_name.

cheers,

Martin