[PD] OS X MIDI startup options

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:29:53 CEST 2009

Revisiting this topic:

> On Sep 21, 2009, at 3:01 PM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
>
>> I am a newbie to PD (but not to programming) and i was unable to
>> find the archives to this list to search for my question before
>> asking it.
>>
>> I am interested in running Pd on a headless Mac mini. Where the
>> mini simply becomes an OSC and MIDI processor. But it will require
>> Pd to start up with a selected input and output port. It does not
>> appear to do that. The Tcl/Tk interface does not store the last
>> known configuration, forcing you to select the in/out manually each
>> time. I found a set of command line options, such as -miniindev -
>> midioutdev. i tried them along the lines of ./Pd-extended -
>> midioutdev 'midiiac' or -midioutdev 'MidiPipe Input 1' but no luck.
>> The options appear to befavoring Linux and a device such as /dev/
>> midi.
>>

>> Is there a was to have a port configured at startup on the OS X
>> version? My goal is to simply be able to turn on the mini and
>> connect using an OSC transmitting device or a controller.

> I think you can add the commandline options at the end of the
> startupflags in Pd-extended->Preferences->Startup.  This is where I
> put the name of a patch I want to start whenever I use pd.

Using midiindev, audiodev, etc works fine on OS X if you put it in the
startup options.  I added the following to my startup flags:

Pd-extended->Preferences->Startup->startup flags: -audiodev 1 -
midiindev 1 -midioutdev 2

audiodev 1 gives me the internal sound card, midiindev and midioutdev
use 2 IAC busses I made for PD.

Your problem might be trying to use the dev by name instead of
number ...

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com