[PD] starting the release cycle for Pd-extended 0.42

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 6 09:46:37 CEST 2009

András Murányi wrote:
> Seriously my point was not that books are uncool but 1) you cannot access
> them by clicking through 2) we may not want to link to non-free resources.
> But again, i don't object i just brought these aspects up. I welcome all fun
> stuff in my help menu, up to the available screen height.

almost ignoring your slightly sexist statement, i would like to point
you to the fact that most books on/with/about pd until now are available
for free (as in beer, if this is what you care about).
apart from that it might have occured to one or the other, that all
those willing hands that make Pd what it currently is have to eat and
make their living. i guess writing (and selling!) books on pd is not
necessarily the worst way.
the annoyance factor of a menu-entry called "books" is pretty low for me
(given that it is a passive link you have to actively choose and anybody
who understands the meaining of "book" will probably understand that
when they click on it they _might_ be directed to pay service)

really, i am a FLOSS enthusiast, but people wanting everything for
gratis piss me off this morning.

apart from all of that, i suggest creating a submenu "shameless
advertisement" where we can put the "books" into.

fgmasdrt
IOhannes