[PD] Indexed array selection

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 11 03:41:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Andy Wilson wrote:

> on a related question: a controller is sending me lists of numbers, 20 at a
> time. I'd like to be able to store this list and later access it by index.
> what's the neatest way to achieve this?

You can use a 1-dimensional array to store 2-dimensional data. For
example, if you want keep a memory of the last 50 instants for which you
have controller data, you can use an array of 1000 elements, and use
[tabread] with the instant number times 20, plus the number of the
element.

this assumes numbering the instants from 0 to 49 and the elements of an
instant from 0 to 19. If you want to number things starting at 1, it gets
complicated by an extra subtraction if you care about using all the array
space you are reserving.

if you have several controllers, you can do something similar... add a 3rd
axis to your data: the controller number. for example, with 4 controllers,
use [tabread] with the instant number times 80, plus the controller number
times 20, plus the number of the element.