[PD] vanilla [serial] object on Windows

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Oct 12 18:23:14 CEST 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Does anyone ever using the [serial] object in Windows that is in Pd-
>> vanilla?  Its currently implemented in Tcl so I am wondering what
>> to do with it in the new GUI.
>
> Well it has significantly less functionality than [comport] (output
> only, no way to change baud rate, only works on Windows...not even a
> help patch).
> Why not put [comport] into vanilla, maybe renaming it [serial] for
> Max compatibility?

I think we should not put comport in vanilla because then we have to
do extra work to work on it (i.e. submit patches and wait for Miller
to accept them).  [comport] has a very different API than Max's
[serial] so that would make matters worse.  I would like to see an
object called [serial] that has an API more like [hid].

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson