[PD] Free/open mobile platform for Pd?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Oct 12 18:28:27 CEST 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:03 PM, martin brinkmann wrote:

> Otto Maddox wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's just because I'm new to the world of mobile computing and
>> have missed something, but I couldn't find a single mobile
>> hardware/software platform which is properly Free/open from top to
>> bottom (i.e., friendly to people who don't mind getting their hands
>> dirty), actively maintained, doesn't require me to screw myself
>> over by
>> taking on a contract which I can't afford (internet tablet would be
>> ideal), and runs Pd. Is PDa still being developed?
>
> i think a decent (with fpu) and completely free (like the
> neo/freerunner) device does not exist.

Android without the Google apps is pretty close.  There might be some
binary blobs though.  In any case, you can do a lot without an FPU.

> but there are a few which are less unfree than the i-thing:
>
> as far as i have heard, rjdj is currently ported to android.

But not released, and likely not free.

> the new nokia 900 uses also a more or less free system (maemo),
> and pd already exists for the older (fpu-less) maemo based
> "web-pads".

What's non-free about Maemo?  I use a Maemo device daily and as far as
I can tell its as free as Ubuntu (there might be some binary blobs,
but there might not).

> the "zii-egg" also uses a linux derivative, and should be
> able to run pd.

Ah right, portable game consoles!  the GP2X is a good example that
runs PDa:
http://www.smokinglinux.com/gp2x/gp2x-the-best-linux-portable-console-for-gaming

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.