[PD] clap clap bonk bonk

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 13 06:22:11 CEST 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Miller Puckette wrote:

> I've tried clapping into mics and cant get consistent results -- the
> burst of air goes in all different directions and I could never get a
> consistent sound into the mic at all.

"burst of air" sounds like a very low frequency impulse... if you can't
rely on that part of the sound to be the same, you have to remove it, so
that you are left with the part of the sound that is reliable, so that
[bonk~] reacts reliably.

if the very low freqs are too much for the mic... because the lower freqs
have inane amplitudes for their amount of energy... then what physical
device constitutes an acoustic highpass filter that can remove the
distorsion ? something that e.g. can remove much of the effect of wind
blowing into a mic when trying to record outdoors... i don't know that
stuff.

i just looked up "pop filter" when seeing that word in cgc's reply, and it
seems like it's a highpass filter, though it doesn't use those words in
the description I read, but I guess it from what they say about clipping
and aspirated plosives.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_filter

but this article is weird, because it mentions the hiss but doesn't say
what a pop filter does about hiss...