[PD] clap clap bonk bonk

Justin Glenn Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:36:38 CEST 2009

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>> I've tried clapping into mics and cant get consistent results -- the
>> burst of air goes in all different directions and I could never get a
>> consistent sound into the mic at all.

> i just looked up "pop filter" when seeing that word in cgc's reply, and
> it seems like it's a highpass filter, though it doesn't use those words
> in the description I read, but I guess it from what they say about
> clipping and aspirated plosives.
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_filter
>
> but this article is weird, because it mentions the hiss but doesn't say
> what a pop filter does about hiss...

It is not so much a question of highpass vs. lowpass as it is a
directional filtering - the pop filter attenuates the most direct path
of the sound, and if I am not mistaken they are designed to attenuate
more with a higher energy burst of sound (this attenuation achieved via
air turbulence), in order to filter more strongly on the loudest
sibilants (high pitched) and plosives (low pitched) while affecting the
quieter sounds as little as possible.

This turbulence theory may be wrong, I looked for confirmation or denial
online but my google skills are failing me.