[PD] clap clap bonk bonk

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 13 17:06:01 CEST 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Justin Glenn Smith wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> i just looked up "pop filter" when seeing that word in cgc's reply, and
>> it seems like it's a highpass filter, though it doesn't use those words
>> in the description I read, but I guess it from what they say about
>> clipping and aspirated plosives.
> It is not so much a question of highpass vs. lowpass as it is a
> directional filtering - the pop filter attenuates the most direct path
> of the sound

Attenuation is normally not frequency-independent, unless it is designed
to be so. So pretty much anything has an highpass and/or lowpass aspect to
it unless you compensate it or you're just lucky...

I can't imagine studio mics doing things that favour the bounced-off waves
at the detriment of the direct sound...

> and if I am not mistaken they are designed to attenuate more with a
> higher energy burst of sound (this attenuation achieved via air
> turbulence),

Uh, wouldn't air turbulence would be a consequence (side-effect) of the
filtering, not the cause of it?

> This turbulence theory may be wrong, I looked for confirmation or denial
> online but my google skills are failing me.

In the case of sibilants, there is a turbulence going on inside of the
mouth, but once it comes out of the mouth, it becomes just noise. Pretty
much any large-scale natural [noise~]-like sound has to be generated by
some kind of turbulence. Turbulence is normally a generator of noise,
isn't it?