[PD] Report on Pd-0.43.0-devel-windowsxp-i386.exe on windows xp

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:31:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

I installed the version on the title, and started doing some work with it.
Here is a list of issues, big and small, as I go along:

- lots of extra calls in the console while doing normal actions (new file,
etc. etc.). won't list them all, I guess it might be a debugging thing.
- alt-[key] doesn't work on menus? alt-f should make file menu open
- path+startup windows with too small font size

- text editor doesn't work, is he already gone? data properties' editor
works.

- don't know what popup mode is and saw no obvious difference - but I
didn't bother to look for it as well

- nice new design for the windows

- in the past I asked for pd to save window position also when windows are
saved on a 2nd screen (windows were always displayed on the 1st screen).
today this backfired, as while working with 1 screen (on a "2-screen"
patch) not all windows of the patch were visible. canvas values were "#N
canvas 1422 54" on pd file. While I salute the possibilty of having
windows automatically appear on multiple screens, how about also making
sure that they appear only in 1 screen of there aren't any more?
E.g. if this window's X value is 1422 and my x resolution is 1400,
probably subtracting the screen resolution of the window value should be
enough. can tcl/tk get these elements? Another representation of what I
meant:
if canvasres >= screenres, then canvasres=canvasres-screenres (apply to
both x and y)

- some automatic redrawing while mousing over data structures (no edit
mode, no clicking, just moving the mouse). sliders blink, and uses cpu for
redrawing.

- I get the impression that redrawing of data structures with toggle in
the inlet (i.e. visible/invisible) is slower now. maybe just an
impression? but anyway, is it possible to enhance this, is the gui work
related with that?

- I use the [hcs/sys_gui] command to make my own color scheme (white is
too agressive) and to place the pd window on a corner (wm geometry). These
don't work now, are they going to be obsolete, or they have to adapt to
the new tcl code?

- font window: only works on patch if it's opened on a (any) patch window.
if I do it from pd window, only affects pd window.
- x and y, x only + y only have all the same result. but I think that was
the normal behaviour before anyway (never used this feature)
- I can only use courier now, wasn't verdana the latest standard? (maybe
not)

- when I do a find in a pd window, it looks in the whole patch. wasn't it
before that it only looked deeper from the call window, instead of the
whole patch? (i.e., if I do find on the subpatch "aaa", it only searches
on patches deeper than it)
In case I was dreaming before, is it possible to make find work on a
deep-only modus? I think this might be more logical for big patches (one
can always go to the grandparent patch to search the whole thing)
- nice touch the "search in xxx.pd for"
- what's exactly the "match whole work only" for? I searched for an
incomplete string ("edit-ind" instead of "edit-index"), and neither of
them found "edit-ind". besides for obvious purposes, this would be useful
to find objects that have a $0 before - as replacing $0 by its number
doesn't work in the search function.

- audio meters (in sc style?) are nice. but:
     - is it possible to start them in any menu/command besides the
clickbox?
     - out button in connected to the actual sound volume of the system, and
not to pd dac~ output (independently of how many there are). the latter
would make more sense.

- dragging of patch fragments (several objects) around the canvas: works
better in display purposes, but still uses lots of cpu (maybe even more?).
anything can be done about that?

- Help->About: Pd doesn't work (so I can't tell exactly which version it
is)
- Help->Html manual: opens up in internet explorer instead of opening up
in my standard browser. that didn't happen before
- Help->Browser: "ERROR: menu_doc_browser non-directory" pops up in the
console.
But the browser works. Btw, would it be possible to add scalable windows +
key follow in the browser? (with key follow I mean that pressing "b" takes
me to the first file with b in the window, "ba" to "ba...", etc etc

Anything else specific you want to be checked, Hans?

João

--
Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)