[PD] denial of service attack

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 01:32:12 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Andrew Faraday wrote:
>
>  WHYYYYY????
>>

> Yeah, frankly, it's a lot easier to eat all RAM in other ways.
>
> #N canvas 0 0 450 300 10;
> #X obj 6 27 loadbang;
> #X obj 6 8 namecanvas z;
> #X obj 6 46 until;
> #X msg 6 65 \; z obj 0 0 table foo 1000;
> #X connect 0 0 2 0;
> #X connect 2 0 3 0;

OK, you're all welcome to crash my pd but not to run hostile code on my
machine. Now, we now that the code posted my Claude can eat up our RAM but
can it write to an executable region or do other really nasty things?
On the other hand - does a fresh copy of Vanilla or extended offer simple
ways to run system commands? If yes, no odd stack overflow methods are
needed to hack a system.

Andras