[PD] pdpedia and spam

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Oct 17 21:59:03 CEST 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> I had a choice once for a wiki I ran.
>  A) Leave it to the spam fiends.
>  B) Install captchas.
> I chose B.  The rationale: a wiki with no captchas is better than a wiki with
> captchas, but a wiki with captchas is better than no wiki at all.

wait. why wouldn't it be better to just have no wiki at all, even in a
situation where there wouldn't be any spam and the captcha wouldn't be
annoying?

I mean, what is the problem that is solved by the existence of a wiki, and
which are the problems that are introduced by the existence of a wiki (not
even thinking about spam and captchas), and how do those problems balance
?