[PD] pdpedia and spam

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Sat Oct 17 22:28:53 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 03:59:03PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> why wouldn't it be better to just have no wiki at all,

Maybe it would be better to kill it off, I dunno.

If you're gonna do that, though, either remove it completely or preserve it as
a read-only resource.  Don't leave the rotting carcass lying around for
spammer maggots to feast on.

> even in a situation where there wouldn't be any spam and the captcha
> wouldn't be annoying?

I don't think spammers ought to be driving the decision when there are
countermeasures available.  If the wiki is underused or outdated or whatever,
do something to address that, such as retiring it.  But if it's being used and
the problem is the spam-to-edit ratio, captchas, whatever their drawbacks, can
treat the spammer pestilence and let the wiki live on to die a natural death
at the end of its natural lifespan.

Marvin Humphrey