[PD] latency issue

Bjørn Nielsen bjoarn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:30:47 CEST 2009

>> Yeah, sorry that I said there was no latency, I do know that every
>> software needs to process. What I meant to say was that the latency
>> while recording was so low in fx Pro Tools, that I don't hear it. That
>> is not the case with PD.
>>

> You don't specify which type of PT, but Pro Tools HD has only 5 samples (not
> ms) of latency.  The LE systems have very high latency compared to what
> Logic and other apps can do though.

I use both Pro Tools LE and M-powered. You probably right, I have
never made a comparison.
I really didn't meant the discussion to be about latency in pro tools
or any other software besides PD (though spinoffs of couse also can be
very interesting).
It was just that Roman Haefeli asked whether Babsycos experienced a
similar latency in other software, and thereby indirectly saying that
it could simply be a hardware setup problem and that PD not
nessecarily has more latency than other software.

In my experience (and don't claim to be that experienced at all) I've
been troubled with the latency in PD and not in any other software.
But I would be very pleased if I'm wrong in the underlying assumption
here and that is just a question of the right hardware/software setup,
to decrease the PD latency to the unhearable.

So Babsycos original question still goes unanswered (besides the
really good advice about jack): can you decrease the latency with
improving you hardware?