[PD] Harmonia

Ernie Dulanowsky ernst at pulsewidth.ca
Tue Oct 20 18:33:27 CEST 2009

Hi:

Harmonia is kind of a Krautrock supergroup, so you could possibly find some
goodness in the bands that Harmonia's members came from.

FIrst there's Cluster/Kluster. DIeter Mobius and Hans-Joachim Roedelius
still make wonderful music. They recently released Qua which shows they're
still in fine form. A good Harmonia-era Cluster album is Zuckerzeit.
Sowiesoso is also very good.

Most of the guitar work on Harmonia is by Michael Rother, who was in the
band Neu! You owe it to yourself to check out Neu! THeir first two albums,
Neu! and Neu! 2 are brilliant.

There's also Tracks and Traces, which is a collaboration with Harmonia and
Brian Eno that pre-dates the Cluster and Eno albums.

There. The surface has been scratched. Explore and enjoy....

cheers,
ernie

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Pall Thayer <palli at pallit.lhi.is> wrote:

> I don't know anything about their current stuff but the old stuff is really
> great. You can't do that stuff with modern equipment. Musik Von Harmonia is
> a true classic.
>
> babsyco babsyco wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I had the great great pleasure of seeing 'Harmonia' earlier this year, and
>> was absolutely blown away. I rushed out and downloaded (I guess in reality I
>> rushed IN then) their two studio albums, but I don't believe they're as good
>> as what I saw. Here's a short clip to give you a rough idea of what it was
>> like:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgFibwQjDo
>>
>> My question is only tenuously related to pd, but I've found this list such
>> a useful authority on all things electronic music related that I just
>> thought I'd ask-can anyone point me in the direction of other bands doing
>> this kind of thing (the modern clip of Harmonia)? By 'this kind of thing' I
>> mean beat based (and I love how Harmonia's pieces are often mid tempo-not
>> slow and ambient or fast and dancy), with interesting electronic textures,
>> but most of all with interesting /gestures-/as opposed to more shapeless
>> ambience or shapeless chaos. Or just anything you think sounds like them
>> (now).  I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> Babsyco.

> --

Ernie Dulanowsky