[PD] fast cam

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Oct 22 20:16:32 CEST 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 11:43 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net> wrote:
> well, this was on osX, so it was not on my computer.
> i'm using only linux...
> but, quicktime add few sec of latency, so it was not usable in RT.
> we used it only for none realtime stuf + a DV cam for real time.
>

> You might find that to be the case with most high speed cameras.
> Above a certain rate they are intended for slow motion playback
> later and not real time use.  Cameras that record hundreds or even
> thousands of frames per second use special RAM on the camera to
> store a few seconds and then download the frames using network or
> USB connections.

If its for tracking applications, any of the video tracking
installations that I have been involved in have used Black&White
security cameras with a visible light filter.  Those cameras are
analog and about 150-300€.  Then you need to get a analog capture card
though.  That could be a Canopus or anything that provides low noise
and high framerate.

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
  - from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs