[PD] Help - DIO errors jack+ffado+RT kernel

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:59:48 CET 2009

hello everyone!

Well I have a little problem with DIO errors in PD.
It seams that it doesn't like the period/buffer set to 3 in jack.
When I set the period/buffer in jack to 2 it works without DIO errors, but
as I am using firewire device, the external device gets really unstable
leading to a driver crash (normally it is recommended to use 3
periods/buffer in firewire devices). When I set de buffer/periods to 3, jack
and the device works great, but PD starts to have a lot of DIO errors.

For the record I tested a multitude of settings, both the PD side and jack
side.
I am using 2.6.24-24-rt Kernel, and starting jack and PD with the -rt flags.

Distro is UbuntuStudio 8.04.3.
I tested the diferent settings both at 48k and 44.1k and frames that go from
64 to 512 or eve 1024.
the only  more stable conf I made gave me an audio latency of 20 ms.

I ask is someone has some ideas in ho to solve this problem and also if the
20 ms latency is acceptable or not for a live performance, using PD as a
effect "box" with pitchifters, loopers, synth using fiddle etc...

P.S.I alsoio tried to use diferent values on PD's flags -audiobuf.

Sorry for this big and anoying mail.

Thanks

Ricardo Lameiro

--