[PD] OSC

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 27 14:01:18 CET 2009

João Pais wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any clear place which describes the advantages of this package
> with the old osc objects? I still use the old ones, but for very simple
> operations.

no.
i guess the best is the list archives and
http://wiki.puredata.info/en/How_to_use_OSC

> Btw, is oscroute better than normal route? That is, are there advantages

it's something different.

> in doing the routing in osc, besides just outside osc? (relatively to
> where osc is concerned, not about patching after/before osc)

an OSC message is "/bi/ba/bo 1 2 3".
with [route] you can strip off the entire and only the entire  "/bi/ba/bo".
with [routeOSC] you can strip off he first element and only the first
element "/bi". and you can use wildcards.

[route] will perform better, as it only does comparisions of the symbols
(that is: comparision whether 2 poniners are equal), whereas [routeOSC]
has to do string comparisions (with wildcards!)

fmgasdr.
IOhannes