[PD] still troubles with gui freezes on Pd-extended 0.41.4

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:37:30 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 16:06 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> It seems to be fixed in 0.42.5.  I looked at backporting, its
> complicated and not worth it.  Its a much better use of time to put
> that effort into making 0.42.5 work better.  Try using 0.42.5 nightly
> build of Pd-extended and see if the bug is still there.
>
> .hc

Cool! Thanks! I have updated to 0.42.5 and so far so good!

BTW, I've looked at the 0.43 code branch and wanted to borrow a few
things to improve upon 0.42.5 (kind of a mix of my hacked pd.tk with
additional improvements) until dust settles around 0.43 development. One
thing I noticed that was kind of nifty in the new tcl sources is a check
to see whether a particular canvas has been loaded. Namely,
variable ::loaded($mycanvas) which effectively (if I am not mistaken)
generates a member in the global ::loaded array and which is exactly
what I needed.

I am however wondering if this is a potential memory leak (however
small) that never gets deallocated? If so, should I be worried if I
implement a similar feature by using 4 different vars per window? FWIW,
I tried closing an opening literally dozens of windows and my memory
footprint did not budge at all (according to system monitor).

Any advice on this one?

P.S. the feature I am working on deals with ability to customize
background, menu- and scrollbar-toggle that is patcher-specific and is
retained even after the window is closed (obviously, until the main
patch is closed). Abstractions rely upon the sys_gui external. Attached
is the pd.tk and (the one I posted before with additional improvements)
and relevant abstractions if you want to give it a try (tested on Linux
only with tcl/tk >=8.5).

P.P.S. Not sure if this is already known, but here it goes anyhow:
contrary to what the window_name help file suggests, when using
pd-extended with compiz, most functions that were so far OSX and/or
Windows-specific (as far as window_name help file is concerned) now work
on Linux as well, including alpha transparency of windows. Yay for
eyecandy! :-)

Best wishes,

Ico