[PD] introducing l2ork

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:18:39 CET 2009

Please bear in mind that following applies only to the first-gen model we
use. There are now newer models of MSI Wind that I did not test and
therefore am not sure if the same applies to them.

It basically boiled down to (in no particular order):

1) getting a machine that provided enough power to run reasonably complex
DSP processes while still being not powerful enough for a one-person show,
thus warranting use of an orchestra
2) a machine whose hardware was fully functioning on Linux (webcam,
wireless, bluetooth, graphics card, etc.)
3) solid low-latency performance (obviously with a real-time kernel)
4) a system that would support solid performance without sacrificing user
interface enhancements (e.g. compiz eyecandy)
5) reasonably long battery life even when using real-time kernel (approx. 3
hours vs. 4.5 hours on non-realtime kernel using 6-cell battery)
6) cost
7) sponsorship (this was however secured after we assessed its value, hence
it could be seen more of a cherry on top rather than fundamental reason)

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Ico