[PD] Research delay

Gintaras Lau. gintarman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:45:03 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm making a diploma work and need help from community like this to
assure that my work is related to science or is a part of it, even if
it (what I did) just a small improvement on the other hand.
There is no information about it in my native language, so sometimes I
get confused about what I'm looking for, because many things are
interesting to me and the field is getting wider and more confusing.

I have tried many delay effect patches and found one made by Maelstorm
on pd-forum. I upgraded it to stereo, mounted into structure I needed
and something I call an improvement. This delay processor does
something what I think might be considered as humanized behavior. It
takes audio of the musician (Saxophone) and creates an echo effect
(tap function included), but output of the echo signal is controlled
by the previous amount of volume (vu) of the input. You can set a
feedback at the maximum amount, but if there is no input signal at
that time from the instrument, than echo goes down (gradually or fast)
as well. It sounds pleasant because there is another parameter that
appeared during the construction process, an interpolation time or
sensitivity how fast it follow the input ([line]) . So the amount of
echo volume can't exceed the the amount of dry signal, what I take as
an aesthetic value in a live performance (tested).

Any pd user know how simple it is to make it using this software, but
I couldn't find anybody did or mentioned about delay controlled by the
signal witch has a human or instrument property (amplitude applied as
control). I work with DAW's like Cubase and know that there is no
delay like that.

I want to ask if the community has an opinion about my idea, taking
all possible aspects that comes to his mind. I think there is no
better place as this to give such questions and use it's answers as
vector to continue research. In the community I am now there are no
students or lecturers that use pd and any other interesting things
that it offer. So at least truth has to come out of my research.

Thank you.