[PD] combining 2 or more cameras to output 1 stream in Linux

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 5 01:45:32 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, jim wrote:

> Does anyone know the easiest way of combining 2 or more camera outputs
> into one stream? ie. how can I take two cameras using 320 x 240 and
> generate a wider image 640x240? Is this possible in PD? I would like the
> resulting stream to be available in v4l ie /dev/video0 + /dev/video1 =
> /dev/video2 . Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Jim

If I have two images coming out from two [#in], I can make a wider image
that contains both images side to side using [#join 1], but this is not
the only way of putting images together to form a bigger image. for
example, it could be about alternating slices of both images. In that
case, I'd use a [#remap_image] after the [#join 1], to shuffle things
around a bit.

But you didn't say whether you want to do this with GEM, PDP or GF.