[PD] smartphone advice

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Nov 6 21:25:23 CET 2009

 From my point of view, the iphone is a pretty nice piece of hardware
that Pd runs pretty well on it, and its easy to use when its
jailbroken.  Its also incredibly lame having to work around Apple's
greed-driven restrictions.  It would be pretty easy to get almost all
of Pd-extended running on it.  I have already gotten a few externals
running on the iphone without much work at all.

The only real missing piece is the audio I/O, but that is not too hard
to do.  Ideally, the rjdj crew would release their audio I/O code to
be included in Pd-vanilla and we should share the work of maintenance
and improvements.  But that's not the only way to get it done.  I'm
here at Mobile Art & Code talking with Memo Akten and Zach Gage, the
two openFrameworks/iPhone developers, and they have open source audio
code that should be pretty easy to plug into Pd.  SuperCollider has
been ported to the iPhone too, but I haven't been able to find that
code.

.hc