[PD] arduino melody example in PD?

Collin coldham at mac.com
Sun Nov 8 17:29:53 CET 2009

That sketch is playing a tune making square waves of different
frequencies. That's not really the same as PWM, which varies the
length of the pulse, but the frequency stays constant. There are a
few ways to generate a square wave of a given freq. in Pd, if that is
your goal. If you want to do it by modeling the Arduino's use of a
timer to turn a signal on and off, that might be an interesting
exercise. One easier way, though, would be to amplify and clip a sine
wave.

[osc~ 440]

[*~ 50]

[clip~ -0.5 0.5]

then if you plug a 50 cent piezo buzzer into the sound card of your
$1000 laptop, it will sound just like a $3 avr!

Then you could store the note durations and frequencies in 2 separate
arrays, like in the Arduino sketch, where the freq is sent to the
[osc~] and the duration is sent to a [delay] that sends a bang to a
counter that increments to the next array elements. Then it will play
"Twinkle, twinkle," and what could be better than that!

Collin