[PD] rj dirlib [was: Re: how to nqpoly?]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 10 19:36:48 CET 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I forgot to add, that you can also use any libdir in this manner that
>> you describe above, dropping it into your project folder.  The only
>> difference that I can see in your dirlib format as it stands now is
>> that
>> a libdir has a mylibrary-meta.pd file in it, and can be loaded like
>> any
>> other lib using [import], [declare] or "pd -lib" as long as you
>> have the
>> libdir loader
>
> The important aspect is that the rj dirlib has (practically) no
> external
> dependencies. You cannot just drop e.g. "mapping" into your project
> directory
> the same way. You first have to install pd-extended or or something
> similar.
> The rj dirlib OTOH can be used with plain, extended or condensed
> distributions
> of Pd. Freedom of choice.

Definitely.  I think its good to have a diverse Pd ecosystem.  I want
to support that. The big disadvantage is incompatibilities.  So when
its easy like in this example, then we should do the bit of work to be
compatible.  The dirlib approach so far seems like a simple subset of
the libdir approach, so that's a good thing.  If people who use
dirlibs just stick a 'mylib-meta.pd' file in it, then people can
choose between the two approaches without changing anything.

Of course, libs depending on libs is harder question.  I think we can
make it work for both the dirlib and libdir approach.  This is how I
see it working:

myproject-\
                    |-rjlib
                    |-mapping
                    |-purepd

Then it should be possible for objects in myproject/mapping to find
objects in myproject/purepd.  Currently, there seems to be some issues
with that.  If anyone can think of any, please add it to the relevant
wiki pages here:

http://puredata.info/dev

Then we can use them when implementing the library ideas as discussed
at the last PdCon.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom