[PD] compiling externals on snow leopard

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Nov 12 00:29:15 CET 2009

The build system in vanilla/extended is pretty ugly, especially for
Mac OS X.  The build system in the pd-gui-rewrite/0.43 branch has been
rewritten from scratch to be a full autotools build system.  That
should fix the -isysroot and --disable-portaudio problem you mention.
Try it out, and we can fix any issues there.

svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-gui-rewrite/0.43/
cd 0.43
./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-jack --disable-portaudio && make

.hc

On Nov 11, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Rich E wrote:

> Oops, I accidentally just sent my last post to Hans.  Please read
> this and the post below...
>
> I have been slowly figuring out the last problem, where gcc can't
> find my headers in /usr/include.  It is because the configure line:
>
> if test "x$fat" == "xyes";
>     then
>         MORECFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk \
>             -arch i386 -arch ppc -Wno-error"
>
> First, I don't know why this is necessary, but I'm sure somebody
> does.  I also don't know why OS X 10.6 is being detected as fat
> anything.
>
> I can install the MacOSX10.4u.sdk from the Xcode disk, but then gcc
> can't find a good stdarg.h, as the one include within that sdk has a
> #include_next stdarg.h directive.  Then, with this -sysroot flag,
> gcc doesn't search any other directory and none of the 20 other
> stdarg.h files on my computer are found.  I remove this flag and the
> header files are found elsewhere just fine.
>
> I compiled Portaudio from svn as universal binary with 64bit.  But,
> this library doesn't work with Pd's portaudio source files and the
> new sources don't work with Pd's sources.  So, I can't get past
> building the portaudio objects.  I tried just using jack with "./
> configure --enable-jack --disable-portaudio", but the build script
> still tries to build portaudio and fails.
>
> This is all with pd vanilla from Miller's website.  I'm also trying
> to build the Pd extended sources, but I suppose I should start a new
> thread for the problem I hit there..
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Rich E <reakinator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Macports made me a universal binary portaudio, thankfully because I
> could not get it to compile as 64 bit from the source (I posted why
> on the portaudio mailing list).
>
> I'm having other annoying problems with my build system, probably
> something very stupid that I am not aware of.  Neither Pd nor Pd-
> extended can find header files in /usr/include.  This isn't so hard
> to include as a CFLAGS flag, but then it still can't find stdarg.h,
> which just makes me think my build system is broken.
>
> I'm working through the various errors to getting Pd-extended
> building on Snow Leopard as 64 bit, but I have to say I'm probably
> not the best candidate as this is the first mac that I've had in
> years.  Truthfully, I was looking forward to a time when things
> 'just worked' :)  Not there yet.
>
> Rich
>

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> It seems that portaudio should build as 64-bit, perhaps its worth
> trying to upgrade the portaudio files that are included in Pd-
> extended.  I recently updated the pd-extended/0.42.5 branch to the
> most recent stable portaudio.
>
> http://www.portaudio.com/trac/wiki/TutorialDir/Compile/MacintoshCoreAudio
>
> .hc
>
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> [...]

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf