[PD] pow~, etc. in Pd-extended 0.42.5

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 12 10:05:20 CET 2009

Hallo,

> Pd-vanilla added pow~, abs~, exp~, and log~.  Pd-extended had those from
> cyclone by default since 0.39.3.  IIRC, pow~ is the only one that has
> issues since it it incompatible with the cyclone one.  So I am wondering
> how best to handle this in the next Pd-extended release.
>
> I have started making a 'vanilla' libdir that is all of the pd-internals
> from 0.42.5.  This gives us the option to keep the cyclone pow~ as the
> default and then access the new pow~ via vanilla/pow~ and the standard
> declare/import styles.  So all you who use pow~ with Pd-extended, what do
> you think the best plan is?

I didn't use pow~ with Pd-extended, but I've used Cyclone before (though not
its pow~, I prefered the expr~ pow then.)

Anyway there was a big discussion about which pow~ is the right pow~ in regard
to inlet order on pd-dev. Consensus was that the right pow~ should have its
inlets as it is in vanilla now. Andy Farnell's book on sound design uses this
version of pow~ all over the place. As it is an internal in vanilla now, I
would suggest to make this definitive version the default in Pd extended as
well and not deliberatly create an incompatibility between the same versions of
Pd extended and Pd vanilla.

Ciao
--
Frank