[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Alexandre Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:21:56 CET 2009

hmm, great, thanks, that is what I wondered, if anyone had bothered to bring
this up.

Anyway, from the thread:

"you are violating the 3rd rule of $-expansion: "there is no $0 in
message-boxes"."

I can deal around with it... but I just wonder if this third rule could be
easily revised/changed. I don't see much of a problem, and it would make
some stuff easier. So, here is my plead in favor of this case, I support the
cause...

But if you say that it would be a pain in the ass, or argue that such rule
must be mantained for some logic reason, I am cool.

I've read something about:

"it would make $0 be even more complicated to understand"

But I totally disagree, I have been teaching a lot basic Pd around, and
people always get confused and think they can just throw "$0" in messages.
So I have to state and reinforce that there is an exception that it doesn't
work on messages. Without an exception at all, it should be easier to get
it, as I understand.

And despite all that, as I see, "$0" on messages is just not good for
anything. So, completely useless... it is just like putting a Zero...

Sorry for insisting anyway...

Thanks a lot