[PD] arduino problem with analog sensors

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 12 19:02:45 CET 2009

The microcontroller in the Arduino has a single sampling capacitor that can be connected to any one of the analog pins.
It will charge up to the voltage on the pin if enough charged particles are available on the pin (or a path less than about 10kohm exists to a source of current).
The cap is not discharged by the analog-to-digital conversion process or between samples except through leakage.
If no charge is available on the pin the capacitor will continue to slowly drain its charge from the previous sample.
It's normal and harmless unless you are in a high-voltage environment like a thunderstorm or a nylon carpet, where much more than 5V could accumulate on an open pin. Then it's best to ground unused inputs.

Martin