[PD] copying one array to another very fast

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 13 00:33:15 CET 2009

Hallo,
Charles Henry hat gesagt: // Charles Henry wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Miller Puckette
> <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > Gee, I forgot to document this one, sorry.
> >
> > a turned-off switch~ can be used to single-step the DSP in a window by
> > sinding it a bang message.  So you can "switch~ 2048" in a window, connect
> > a tabplay~ to a tabwrite~ inside it, start them, then send the switch~
> > N/2048 bangs to copy N samples from one table to another.
> >
> I used to use a [bang~]->toggle->[switch~] construction to try to have
> one execution and then switch off.  Thanks for the tip!  I guess I
> won't need that one anymore.

I've been using this a lot recently as well, but I don't think, Miller's
undocumented suggestion can replace this in all cases. One advantage of the
bang~->switch~ approach is - I believe - that it gets rid of many function
calls: You just let the CPU compute a set of, say 64 samples with basically one
function call per object. But if you send 64 bangs instead, I think, the object
get activated 64 time so you have 64 function calls which should be slower.

Is my reasoning correct?

Ciao
--
Frank