[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 13 11:03:36 CET 2009

Am 12.11.09 17:21 schrieb "Alexandre Porres" unter <porres at gmail.com>:

> But I totally disagree, I have been teaching a lot basic Pd around, and people
> always get confused and think they can just throw "$0" in messages. So I have
> to state and reinforce that there is an exception that it doesn't work on
> messages.

Calling this an exception creates the impression, that $1 in a message is
the same as in an object.

> Without an exception at all, it should be easier to get it, as I
> understand.

Agreed. But currently, the only thing that makes $0 in a message exceptional
is the fact, that it has no meaning at all. Making it be replaced by the
canvas identifier wouldn't make it less exceptional at all.

roman