[PD] gem on ubuntu karmic?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 13 18:47:53 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 17:02 +0100, Aditya Mandayam wrote:
> how do i find the path to my pd sources?
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> > olsen wrote:
> >> get the current gem svn with:
> >> svn co https://pd-gem.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pd-gem pd-gem
> >> then change to the src directory:
> >> cd /pd-gem/trunk/Gem/src
> >> check the README.linux to make shure you've the dependencies onboard.
> >> then
> >> ./autogen.sh
> >> ./configure --with-libv4l2 --with-pd=/pathtopdsources/
> >> make

try the ./configure step first without any flags. actually both flags
are supposed to be not needed in a 'normal' environment. gem's configure
should detect libv4l, if you have the package 'libv4l-dev' installed.
also you usually shouldn't need to tell ./configure where the pd sources
are, since if you have pd already installed it will look
in /usr/local/include and /usr/include for the necessary files.

and before doing the steps from autogen.sh, do first:

sudo aptitude build-dep gem && sudo aptitude installlibmagick++-dev

(the libmagick++-dev part is not mandatory, but it will enable gem to
use imagemagick library for reading many image formats)

this will install all necessary packages and their respective dev
packages for compiling gem.

roman