[PD] Finding "$0" and dealing with it in messages

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 21:27:40 CET 2009

I am saying two things:

1) Without $0 or something similar, the only way to guarantee similar
locality would be through use of $1 or $n -- you would have to
manually give each instance an instance number.  Sometimes you even
want to be able to group instances in the way you suggested.  I'm not
sure of the history of Pd, but if $0 was implemented after
abstractions with arguments, then manually assigning locality was
probably necessary.

2) Sometimes $0 NEEDS to be inherited (probably as $1 or some such) by
various helper abstractions within a larger, higher-functioning
abstraction.  This is especially the case with dynamic patching --
imagine, say, a "bell synthesis" patch using a dynamically created
bank of enveloped oscillator abstractions.  In that case, you'd want
each oscillator abstraction to [throw~] to the same [catch~] within
the parent "instrument" abstraction.  To do this, you could have
[catch~ $0-out] within the parent, and [throw $1-out] within each
child, while passing the parent's $0 to the children.

So all I'm saying is that $1-$n often plays a really important role in
locality, in addition to a number of other things, and to me it seems
almost natural to use $0 as an analogy for this role.  I personally
love the idea of using $0 as the selector of the abstraction -- its
name or filename, and $$ as its ID, but too late for that now.

Matt