[PD] PD with Ubuntu Karmic - no sound

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Sat Nov 14 17:53:15 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

> Sound with lots of latency is better than no sound at all.
i don't think so.
no sound -> you realize that there is a problem that need to be fixed.
big latency -> you think ubuntu / pd is crappy.

>  Here's how I
> see it now:
> - pd currently doesn't make sound on Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu without
> changing settings

well, it depend of your sound card i think.
mine work perfectly with oss, so i did not have to do anything to have sound.
as long as i don't use other audio software.

> - newbies are screwed, no sound output
> - advanced users already setup their own audio
i did not set up anything.

> So if we use padsp by default, we get this, which seems preferrable to me:
> - pd makes sound on Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu without changing settings
> - newbies get sound with lots of latency
> - advanced users already setup their own audio
we will have lot's of mail in this list asking why pd can't make a sound with less than 500ms latency, and i'll answer : "pd extended configuration is crappy"

> Even better, you could get sound from Pd and other apps at the same
> time.  If there is a way to get to the second status without big
> latency, that would be the best.
yes, that would be the best.
but i did not find any solution other than installing jack or maybe having pd to use pulse audio...

>'padsp' is the only trick I know of, I
> haven't tried pasuspender tho.
pasuspender work great, as expected : it stop other applications from using the sound card so pd can have full control of it. and as soon as pd stop it gives back the sound to the other applications...

padsp is definitly not a good solution, pasuspender is the way to go i my opinion.